Friday, February 24, 2012

A veritible flurry of projects

I think for once my brain has gotten ahead of my physical ability to get things done and has sent me into a tailspin of half finished projects.  Now I don't know about you, but I will sit and worry about them until they are done.  It affects me, my mental outlook on things gets impacted when I have too many things left undone.  Are you like that?  I've been feeling down these last few days and I came to the realization that the reason is because I haven't actually completed anything lately.  I've only started things.

To make matters worse I am leaving next weekend on a business trip.  I'll be a basket case if I don't have these things completed and off my list by the time I head out.  They say when you want to do something that you know is going to be hard, you should tell as many people as you can.  Like quitting smoking or something.  You go and tell everyone you know and then you feel like a big jerk if you go back on your promise.

So, in the spirit of forcing myself to get stuff done, I am going to write a blog post each night for the next 7 days.  In each post I will talk about the projects that I am on the way to getting completed.  The ultimate goal?  I hope that by the end of the week I have my bench cleared, my mind at ease, and that I'll be able to focus on my trip.

Speaking of my trip, I brought home a spoon the last time I was out there.  It's been sitting on my desk upstairs in the office since I got home.  I pick it up and mess with it during long conference calls or when I am trying to figure out a solution to a problem. 


Its a disposable wooden spoon.  It is thin, obviously pressed into shape, the same material that is used to make those little wooden things you get with tubs of ice cream.  The company I go visit has boxes of them in their break areas.  People use them to stir their coffee, make tea, and eat their lunch.  They are right beside the coffee cups made with 100% recycled paper.  It reminds me that we don't have to use plastic, we have better options.  I am working on applying that to my life as a whole.

See you tomorrow for the first project update!  Happy carving!

No comments:

Post a Comment