Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Camp Spoon, Camp Spoon, Jiggity Jig!

I've been wanting to make a simple camp spoon for quite a while and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.  In my mind a camp spoon has to be sort of chunky and thick.  A camp spoon needs to be sturdy enough to take some abuse.  When you are cooking at a camp site, you don't need anything too fancy.  Just something to stir your pot, measure your coffee, and eat with.  On the other hand it has to be something that you will actually want to use, it doesn't do any good to keep it in your pack.  I had some cherry left over from my trip to Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, so I hit the garage and started carving.


The bowl ended up a bit deeper than I wanted, and I may actually carve another one, but for now I am pretty happy how it turned out.  I purposely made the bowl somewhat heart shaped.  I figure getting into the corners of your cooking pot is a good thing. 


I need to do a bit more work in refining the shape and put some oil on it.  I plan on putting a paracord lanyard hole on the end as well.  I figure a camp spoon needs something that will allow you to attach it to your pack or hang it on a stick by the camp fire.


In other news, I've been playing around with paracord again..  I've been wanting to make a bracelet jig for some time.  I found a tutorial online and made a working jig in about an hour.  It isn't pretty, but it works great.  I used it to make paracord bracelets for the kids and the one in the picture above.  The best part of having a jig is that it holds the cord for you and allows you to adjust the length of the bracelet.  Using this jig I can make a single pass cobra stitched bracelet in about 10 minutes from start to finish.


I made it about 40 inches long and cut the slot for the adjustment mechanism twelve inches long.  You can't see it in this picture, but I drilled a secondary hole for the carriage bolt near the bottom of the jig.  This will allow me to make much longer items, such as dog collars, straps, slings, and more.  I also have some room to add a larger clip for larger projects.

Do you ever feel like you have so many projects up in the air that you don't know how to get any of them done?  Or more importantly, that you don't know which one to work on first?  Yeah, me too.  I seriously need to sit down and make a list.  I've been wanting to make a sheath for my Mora Clipper.  I just don't care for the plastic sheath that it comes with when you buy it.  Oh and I just saw a video about hook knife boxes.  Oh and...

I need help.

I hope you are having a great week, may your knives stay sharp and happy carving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment