Sunday, September 5, 2010

Whoa there horsey!

Construction began today on the shaving horse.  Let me start by saying I don't know what I am doing.  This is my first shaving horse and, like my first spoon, it ain't gonna be pretty.  But, I think it will work.  Today was a busy day across the board.  The dishwasher broke and all my effort spent in loading it this morning to earn points with the wife flew out the window.  I took the kids to Lowes today to buy some wood for the horse and to the grocery store to grab a few things, mainly coffee and milk, but ended up spending $40 somehow.  Back home to load a bunch of trash in the truck to take to the dump.  Back home agian, to mow the grass, and then start on the horse.  Ok..here is the first picture of the shaving horse.  I think I made it too long and will need to figure out if i need to shorten it.  I think it might be a bit too high as well.  I think it needs to come down 2 inches or so.  Next is the "bench" and the "dumbhead" for holding the stock.  No comments please.


Also for your viewing pleasure is a short of the garage, looking cleaner than it has in months.

I had my wife go out and buy some Flax Oil to put on my spoons.  After going to a few places (Thanks Honey!!) she found some and I was in business.  I was pretty nervous when I put the oil on for the first time, but after I saw what it did to the spoon, I was amazed.  The cherry spoon that I had turned a beautiful brown and the grain really showed up nicely.  The two birch spoons turned this lovely amber color and just look beautiful.  See below in the picture.  The two spoons directly to the right of the oiled ones are cherry and birch.  The difference is outstanding.

Ok, last but not least, and then I am off to bed.  I am the proud new owner of a new axe.  Well, new to me.  I bought if off of ebay tonight.  I need to make a handle for it, but I seem to be in possession of a pretty large quantity of white ash at the moment, so that shouldn't be a problem.  I'll post a picture when I get it.  All in all it has been a pretty good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment