Monday, August 23, 2010

Finish

I have three spoons sitting down in the kitchen, drying.  They are going to sit there all week, and then it is finishing time.  I am going to sand them with 440 grit sand paper.  The finish will be mineral oil.  It is food safe, non-toxic, non-staining, and will bring out the grain really well.  Organic oils like olive, vegetable, and canola oil can go rancid on you.  Nut based oils, like walnut or peanut can potentially cause allergic reactions in people who touch or use your spoons, and go rancid as well.  So Mineral Oil is the way to go, I think, and is what I will be using.

My brother talked about being perfect on his most recent blog entry.  You know, I think he is right.  Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.  I spend a lot of time being pretty critical of the shape of my spoons.  I don't like the way the bowl feeds into the handle on a lot of them, or the way the end of the handle ends up being shaped.  At the same time, I think that maybe I need to settle down a bit, each spoon I make is better than the one before it.  That is all I can hope for I think.  Just to be happy with this thing that I have made.  When I can get to that point, I know that I will have reach perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment