Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spoons, man!

Man, I can't even remember the last time I had a post about spoons up on this blog.  Lately it has all been frilly stuff about quaiches and paracord beads.  Beads!  There was even some knitting thrown in!  I'm at a loss for words and I apologize to any of you that have come looking for the latest round of poorly carved eating utensils.  It just so happens that I have been kicking around out in the garage, freezing my you know what off, making a few spoons!  Well, making a spoon or two and pulling a few off the work bench and getting them finished up.  Pictures of those coming in a few days once I get around to getting them finished.

Now!  On to the good stuff!  First off the quaich I carved a few weeks ago has been finished with a nice coat of flax seed oil mixed with some beeswax.  It was my first time working with beeswax and let me tell you I wasn't prepared for it to smell like honey!  I guess I thought it would just smell like..well..wax.  It smelled like fresh honey.  It really deepened the colors and darkened the whole thing up nicely.


I can't wait to make more things out of this Tulip Poplar wood.  I love the color of the heartwood.  I have a few pieces left that I already have plans for. 


Here is the finished quaich laying beside the other half of the log, notice the same colors running through it.



I have a few sticks of maple laying around as well, so I carved this spoon.  I liked the way it came out and I purposely made the handle a lot thicker than normal.  I wanted something that could be used for baking or cooking, with a focus on being strong enough to be used for mixing batters and such.  It has a nice thick handle that fits well in the hand and feels strong enough for whatever task is set before it.


Here is a small eating sized spoon that I made for my father.  It is made from ash and is laying on part of the log that it was made.  Notice the growth rings.  I just love the way it turned out.  I love working with this seasoned ash.  I have a good bit left, and if it could all be turned into spoons as nice as this once, I would be satisfied.  I got this ash from my father's house in Pennsylvania.  He, my brother, and I went out and cut the tree down that it came from.  It seems fitting that a spoon made from it goes back to him.  I hope he likes it.


Last, but not least, a coffee scoop made from maple.  It is quite deep, deeper than this picture shows, but small enough to fit down inside the coffee can.  I am putting this in the mail and sending it off to a friend of mine.  Actually, all the items are being given away to friends.  I hope they enjoy using them as much as I have enjoyed making them. 

What's next?  I'm off to Pennsylvania for the weekend this week.  Going to be cutting some wood and visiting with my parents and family.  I might even try to scrounge around for some cherry and or birch that I can bring back to do a few more carving projects.  First though, I need to make a few slingshots.  I've got a great idea for a design that I can't wait to see how it works.  More on that later, this is a spoon focused post!

Happy carving all.  May your knives stay sharp and your mind stay open! 

No comments:

Post a Comment