Sunday, March 6, 2011

What is Perfect?

A quick run to the dictionary tells me that the word perfect is defined as being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish.  Whoa.  I am in trouble.  My quest for the perfect spoon is perhaps unattainable.  Can there be a perfect handle or bowl or sweep or depth or size or length or shape in a spoon?  I know that I  am getting better with every single spoon I carve.  My eyes are getting better, my sense of balance and shape and my ability to see how the grain wants to cut is improving.  Every spoon, is better than the one before it.  But am I approaching perfection?  Am I on the verge of greatness and the perfect spoon is right around the corner?  Not so fast there crazy guy.  I don't think the perfect spoon exist.  Or does it?

My internal perfectionist has started yelling at me.  But what about the masters of spoon carving?  What about the people who carve spoons and then, get ready for this, SELL them to people?  I mean who would be able to sell their spoons unless they were perfect?  Right?  Right.  Does that mean they are without defect or blemish?  No, not at all, but they are perfect anyway.

I think what I have just stumbled upon is the fact that perfection is absolutely attainable.  The perfect spoon does indeed exist.  Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, perfection follows those same rules.  I made a spoon for a friend of mine, months ago, back when I was just starting to carve spoons.  Compared to what I can make now, that spoon was one small step up from a stick with a flattened end.  Guess what?  She LOVES it.  She uses it all the time, to eat with, to cook with, to stir soups and serve green beans.  To her, this thing that I made is,...ok hold on..it is circle back time..PERFECT.

I know for a fact that I often forget about the spoons that I have made and given as gifts.  Those that receive them are always so appreciative and they rave about them. I am so critical of what I make.  I think being critical is what holds me back from inching closer to perfection.

I'll be back in a few days with a review of a new axe and to talk about butter knives.  Yep, you read that right, butter knives.  In the mean time, what does perfection mean to you?

1 comment:

  1. I can understand where your coming from, although I have a looong way to go with my spoon carving. The people you give them to look at them as unique, and truly appreciate the skill and time you put into them even if they don't meet our expectations as being perfect to us.
    I'm looking forward to your axe review.

    ReplyDelete