Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm making you a spoon and I want you to make one too.

There is this guy named Barn and he is a spoon maker who travels around Britain making spoons in exchange for room and board or he will sell you one for about $11 US (7 British Pounds).  He doesn't do mail order, but will come to you and make you a spoon if you want one.  He has his peddler's license which gives him permission to sell his wares on street corners and such.  He's a regular guy, with a passion for the woodlands and for making spoons.
He has a blog and a facebook account that he updates on a pretty regular basis.  He seems like a really interesting man and I would love to meet him one day, but in the meantime, I have been thinking about the last sentence in his most recent post.

"Imagine if everyone had a spoon carved for them by someone that cared about them, I really like that idea."

I can't get that line out of my head.  Seriously, it has been rattling around for 24 hours or so.  I think I would like to give this a try and see what happens.

I'm going to make a few spoons and send them out to some folks that I care about.  (Yes Jim, you are first on the list).  I am going to include a brief note about why I made this spoon for them, and a request.  The request will be simple, nothing major, but I would like those people to make at least one spoon for someone else and send it to them with the same note and request attached.

"Imagine if everyone had a spoon carved for them by someone that cared about them, I really like that idea."

I really like that idea too Barn.  A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment